Supervised by: VP Research
Status: Full Time Position
CoverCress Inc. (founded in 2013) is an innovative startup company based in St. Louis within the 39 North AgTech Innovation District. 39 North is a 600-acre innovation district anchored by the Donald Danforth Plant Science Center, BRDG Park, the Helix Incubator, Bayer Crop Science, and the Yield Lab. Our headquarters are located on Warson Road, we utilize first-class lab space at the BRDG building and we run our greenhouse operations at the prestigious Donald Danforth Plant Science Center.
We are converting field pennycress into a new domesticated variety under the CoverCressä brand as the third crop in standard corn/soybean rotations, which could be used on up to 10 million acres at maturity in the US. This crop will serve the dual purposes of providing a winter/spring cover-crop, but more importantly providing growers with an extra source of income via contracting, growing,and harvesting the oilseeds produced from CoverCress seed and selling that grain to processors in a closed loop commercial system for use as a renewable fuel feedstock and high-quality animal feed. An added benefit of CoverCress varieties will be the approximately one ton of soil carbon sequestered per acre per growing season.
We are looking for a lab technician to support the research and development team. The position is full-time and located at Bio-Research & Development Growth Park (BRDG Park) in St. Louis, MO, near the Donald Danforth Plant Science Center. This role will be involved in leading and supporting documentation of gene-edited materials and routinely preparing DNA for genotyping and sequencing applications.
Depending on departmental needs, this position may have the dual responsibility of performing support tasks including DNA extraction and gel room activities, as well as performing routine genotyping including the use of robotic and manual processes for PCR setup and analysis and the scoring of data. Lab technician will also be trained to receive and process samples and will troubleshoot, track and maintain records on sample issues and notify the team of work completion.
This position may include some occasional weekend work, but standard work is performed Monday - Friday.
- Bachelor’s degree, completion of a training program or equivalent work experience in the field of biological sciences.
- Knowledge of basic molecular biology techniques including DNA extraction, PCR processes, agarose gels desirable.
- Strong written and oral communication skills sufficient to permit clear and effective exchange of information with people representing a wide diversity of disciplines and levels within the organization.
- Proficient in working with computer software and databases such as Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, etc.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, multi-tasked environment while consistently maintaining a positive and professional demeanor.